26 October 2014

Extreme Faux Bleaching!

Hello!
I'm not calling this an 'old school' technique, as I've only really been doing this since Distress Inks came out. Not *that* long ago??! Still, this is a technique we all do from time to time, so why not just take it to the next level? Faux Bleaching, or, if you would rather....flicking water droplets at stuff!
 Here is my finished project...


Bright Bright colour, with spots, splashes and drips where the ink colour has been removed.
My card was coloured with 4 different colours of Distress ink, Picked Raspberry, Peacock Feathers, Mustard Seed and Festive Berries to be precise. As we have the primary colours in there in varying forms, we get a little colour mixing going on in places, greens oranges and purples emerge where the colours meet. The first layer of 'faux bleaching' takes off quite a few spots of colour..
As you all know already, big drips of water give big areas of 'bleach', spraying water will give tiny spots! Instead of stopping at the point though, add a little more inks to the dried background. I have kept the colours the same, i;e adding more yellow over the yellow areas. It would be easy to muddy the colours if you tried adding blue over a pink bit! This has the effect of toning down those first 'bleached' out areas, the shapes are still there, just not as 'white' as before. Keep repeating the water, drying, ink technique until you have a more layered look, with the drop marks varying in hue...
The only downside to this technique is that your card will have a tendency to curl because of all the water and heating you've done to it. You can see my background is a little warped in the pic above! This is easily rectified, simply stick (or sew!) the card to another bit of heavy cardstock to keep it flat.
I sewed my background to a bit of black card...
I added a few black splats of paint, and even had a go at 'bleach printing'... the semi circles you can see are the edges of a bottle top dipped in water that has been pressed onto the piece.
Very simple stamping to set off all that colour...
Of course, you could go as wild as you want with the design, for some reason I felt that less is more with this piece!
See you soon,
Trish xxx




5 comments:

Craftyfield said...

Love your choice of bright colours Trish, brightens up this very dull day! Great technique, I don't use it very often but I may need a few more Distress colours to get the fab results you did!

maria f. said...

Looks good enough to eat!

viv said...

I've tried this technique, Trish, and I love it. Your card looks really good

CreativSpirit said...

Simply gorgeous Trish.

Cocofolies said...

Great technique with a gorgeous sample Trish!!! Coco x