12 May 2015

Red Shoes...

Hello!
I heard a song.... and a lyric stuck in my head, as it does. Kept going around and around in my brain, so I thought maybe it was trying to tell me something (or I'm bonkers, equally possible....)
I used the lyric as the theme for my project today...


The words dictated the colour scheme, but as a bonus it made me get out of my 'use every colour on the planet' phase I seem to be in! Lots of blue paint used for the background, along with plenty of white for blending and stencilling. I used my new favourite stamp set for the details...


This is the 'Coffee Stains' set from Prima , total bargain at £5.99 for the whole sheet! I added some black dots and white doodling to the stamped images for added interest.
My dancing lady was sketched out onto watercolour paper, then painted. I cut her out and glued her down, minus her hair!


You can see the outline of the cut out if you look closely! I knew I wanted a feather effect at the ends of her hair, and quite frankly couldn't be bothered with all that fussy cutting if I'd done it on the watercolour paper! I added most of the hair with a waterbrush ( I used black acrylic ink), then drew the end bits directly onto the background with a fineliner pen.


Of course, she had to have red shoes...


I used a black water soluble pencil for the outlining, and the ground she is standing on. I've decided I like the watercolour effect better than a smudged black effect!

I'm really hoping the next song to stick in my head has a good lyric to work with!
See you soon,
Trish xxxx



14 comments:

maria f. said...

Precious.

jaine drake said...

One word.....CUTE. xxxx

massofhair said...

David Bowie's dancing girl brought to life beautifully Trish! Wonderful inspiration, love her tiny red shoes:-) xxx

Linda said...

I love your little dancing girl Trish .... I'm a sucker for red shoes!! xx

Samra said...

WOW!! Love those red shoes! Gorgeous make!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love how you were inspired by the song . Great colouring and love the background. Tracy x

heARTistry said...

Love this Trish. She is sooo cute x

Caroline said...

Did it stop the song going around in your head tho??
You delight me twice in one day (my fault being behind). Delightful is the word for this gorgeous piece. Your dancing girl is... well, a delight?! Sorry, end of day brain warp syndrome. She is beautiful & I think you should start drawing tutorials too! You interpreted the lyrics brilliantly, the soft blue tones for background really are lovely. I may NEED that stamp set! Lol. I have been trying to master your painty backgrounds & I am either rubbish (probably) or it's trickier than it looks. Tfs as always. C

Gez Butterworth said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS Trish ♥

Tracy said...

She is gorgeous, adore her shoes Trish xxx

Unknown said...

SMILING! This is soooo sweet. And you are so talented drawing your girls Trish.... so fun. j

jasann said...

LOVELY!!!!!

A Pink said...

so Lovely! fab background n ya hand sketched dancing girl is great- loving the swirlly dress n feathery hair . The red shoes add that extra touch of colour that are the perfect finishing touch to such a lovely piece

Words and Pictures said...

She's adorable - and I just love the lighter than air bubble background.
Alison x