24 January 2014

Metal Heart....

Hello!
I'm still on my 'use techniques you haven't played with for a while' kick..... so today I want to share a little weathered metal...

(This entire blog post is also a frustrating exercise in how difficult it is to get a good picture of mirrored card...especially a picture that didn't have me reflected in the surface!)
Now, I usually do this with metal foil, never tried it with cardstock, so it was a bit of an adventure! Worked brilliantly though!
Here's how...
Cut a shape from sturdy chipboard or greyboard. I drew around a big wooden heart I have in my 'things to alter' box!
Cut this out, then get the mirror card ready. (This is Ranger foil card)
We need to stick it to the greyboard, but my usual glue n seal/ gel medium approach is not going to work this time. Wet glue will leave a dull, non shiny residue on the surface, however carefully we apply it. I used a sheet of double sided adhesive, Wonder Tape sheets work very well. Once the adhesive sheet is on the back, cut the card into squares and rectangles of varying sizes.
Next, stick the shapes to the big heart shape, making sure they overlap slightly.
(that pic *almost* has me in it at the bottom lol!)
Trim the edges, and add a large eyelet if you want a hole to hang it up!
Next bit is where the 'magic' begins! Using a small balled embossing tool, press hard into the cardstock, and create dots and lines...
Scary bit time.... cover the whole thing with a layer of black alcohol ink...
Mine has a definite dark brown look....not a clue as to why, but I like it!
Next, take some wire wool (from the DIY shop), and rub away at the dried ink...
You will need a little elbow grease here, but remember not to rub too hard. This is cardstock remember, not actual metal! Once done, wipe down with a soft dry cloth to remove any wire wool residue...
So, background done! I've not gone overboard with the finishing touches as I wanted to show off the 'metal' not cover it up! A red clay heart....
and black cord tied through the hole...

So...get out that mirrored cardstock and give it an industrial look!
Trish xxx




15 comments:

Juliwan said...

fabulous

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

cool technique, thanks for sharing Trish!

steffi said...

That looks great - not seen black alcohol ink before but it works really well - thanks for sharing :o)

WendyR53 said...

That looks really good. I'm going to give that a go - I've got loads of foil cardstock which rarely gets used. This looks like a great technique to try. Thanks for sharing.

Words and Pictures said...

Very cool!
Alison x

Corrie Herriman said...

Wonderful !
Corrie x

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks wonderful, I love the little red heart.

Clare Lloyd said...

This is fabulous! I have some of that foil card, I wasn't sue what to do with it! Thanks for the inspiration. X

Caroline said...

Incredible! :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A breathtaking heart.

Unknown said...

Wow this really looks like plated aluminum - what a great project

ionabunny said...

This is a great technique. Wondering how it would work if you embossed the card before cutting and layering? Lazy me thinking of all that work with the ball tool! Yours looks fab. Will let you know if I give this a go......

ionabunny said...

This is a great technique. Wondering how it would work if you embossed the card before cutting and layering? Lazy me thinking of all that work with the ball tool! Yours looks fab. Will let you know if I give this a go......

Reflective Art Studio said...

Great use of the foil I love the 3D heart. This makes my eyes happy. xx Darling.
Sarinda

SCarol said...

Really stunning. Just love the heart.