23 March 2013

Butterfly Tree

Hello again!
I've been playing with paint again.....but this time, new paint! Yep, just had to have the new Distress Paints from Ranger. All the colour on this piece is Distress paint..
The square cardboard base has a wrinkled layer of District Market Terminology tissue, glued on with a glue stick, and deliberately crumpled to give the texture....
This was given a thin layer of Picket Fence Distress paint, just to whitewash and tone down the blackness of the type. I then used Broken China Distress paint, using just a little. More as a wash really, just a hint of colour. When dried, I added a second layer gently over the wrinkles to highlight them. As with any paint, more than one layer builds up and darkens the colour, so this second layer shows up as darker against the first. Same colour, same paint, just more of it! This means stamping with the paint shows up as darker....as the dots show here...
I then stamped the flourish with Black Soot Distress paint. This is a Donna Downey foam stamp, foam stamps are great to use with paint, and clean up is very simple. In this design, the lower part of the flourish is just an outline, so I filled it in by adding more paint (just in case anyone was thinking 'I have that stamp, it doesn't look like that!')
My flourish became my 'tree' for the butterflies to sit on....
I coloured scrap card with Barn Door Distress paint. This shade is a little disappointing to me as its not as deep red as its inky namesake, more of a tomato red in my opinion. I needed three coats before I had the depth of red I was after. The butterflies (Unity)  were then stamped in black ink and cut out. I glued them to the flourish, then added Glossy Accents to give a sheen.
I also used the Barn Door Distress paint to print a little round the edges, just to tie the whole thing together colourwise.
My word is made from Jenni Bowlin alphabet stickers..
Nice and big, and a great font!
Have a great weekend everyone, hopefully you are all nice and warm indoors. This weather is just dreadful!!!
Trish xxxxxxxxxx







4 comments:

Paula Whittaker said...

love your use of the distress paints and the colour combination

Craftychris said...

this is fabulous! I would not have thought of this colour combo and its gorgeous! The Distress Paints look brilliant! xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Gorgeous color combo and love the tissue scrumple effect.

Caroline said...

Brilliant design (need the those letters). I really like that you didn't overload page with images & let paint & paper do the work. For me with your work is introduction of different products & techniques. I tried to do the crumpled up look with tissue paper, adding paint to define... It was a disaster, lol! Will try again some other time. Butterflies are my fave & even though you were disappointed with red, it looks great with the blue. TFI, take care :))