10 March 2013

Spray, Brayer and Stamp

Paula here, I'm showing you my brayered background technique (as described in my article in the February 2013 issue of Craft Stamper), this is an easy way to create a unique background and you don't need any special brayering skills - if you can hold a brayer then this is the technique for you! I'm also going to briefly mention about making your own stamps, this is something completely new to me, I haven't done any reading up on it, so I would recommend checking the net or getting a book to know more.....my only knowledge was doing a lino print at school when I was about 14/15 (I'm soon to be 41).

Anyhow, these are the items you will need.....




Non Stick craft sheetVersafine black ink pad, brayer, lino, lino carving tools, Dylusions Ink Spray and a Tim Holtz sentiment stamp.

 
Spray some of the Dylusions Ink Spray onto the non stick sheet, roll the brayer in the ink and till there's a fairly even coverage on the roller - take this, and brayer the ink straight onto the card front.....dab dry with a paper towel.
  
 
 
 
Ink up the sentiment and stamp onto the card front.
 
 
 
I bought a sheet (approx. A4 size) of this grey lino from a well known auction site for under £4 and I also bought some lino cutting tools for under £3 - I just use a permanent pen to draw my design straight onto the lino and then I whittle away around my design.
 
 
The first stamp I carved was the circle one, then the flower head and then the sun like shape.
 


 
And here are my quick and simple cards, using the basic brayered background and my simple carved stamps.






19 comments:

Deborah said...

Your lino stamps look really cool, Paula. I love that flower head.

Annes Art said...

Wowww super Paula!

Linda Page said...

am loooving that background welk I kike tge stamps too but dont think i could be bothered to make my own. thanks for sharing this. gonna play with the background later tho xx

Minxy said...

Your cards as always are great, as are the hand carved stamps,love the wish

Laura said...

Great walk through of fab cards
thanks Paula
:)

Elaine said...

I love your hand carved stamps, I have seen a few people do this recently, though most in rubber, I have some lino from an ancient crafty kit (good job I am a hoarder) and must have a go. I also love your approach to brayering, the usual smooth everything out approach sends me into panic, this way I may just be more fearless! Great cards as always, made with the style that is all your own, Elaine x

Astrid Maclean said...

So clever Paula and more than a "sprinkle of imagination" I would say. Love the background technique and your carved stamps look great, my favourite is the flower one, brilliant!

Saskia said...

Great technique, works very well with this type of stamps.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great technique and fab results.

Netty said...

smashing demo Paula, x

Unknown said...

I just have to get shopping - wow Paula this is brilliant - thanks for the tutorial

Carol Q said...

very nice Paula. thanks for the demo.

Sue Jones said...

I Used to LOVE lion cutting at school ( about 100 yrs ago!) Your Examples look Fab!

Crafting Queen said...

Great background techinque. Would like to try my hand at craving some stamps one day.

Karen leonard said...

Ha Ha I remember school lino cutting....This step by step looks great and very manageable..I love your flower head stamp.

jaine drake said...

Gorgeous, I must try stamp carving it looks like good fun.

maria f. said...

That background effect is gorgeous.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Great demo Paula - the brayering is so effective and I love your stamps. I have just made ones with rubbers - these look far superior!

SamsHomeCookedDesigns.com said...

Paula your "simple" style of cards are a real inspiration, I normally find simple very hard to do. These are lovely. Sam