30 January 2016

Poppy Parade


Hi folks, and happy weekend :)  Shirley here with a little stamped creation for you.  I stamped two large outline poppies and one small outline poppy from the Donna Downey Poppies set using Versafine Onyx Black, masking as I went along.  I left the masks on while I stamped the background (Darkroom Door Background Stamp - Peeled Paint) using, appropriately enough, Peeled Paint Distress Ink.


After removing the masks, I painted the petals with Festive Berries and Barn Door Distress Inks, then added Walnut Stain Distress Stickles to the poppy stamens.  Once everything was dry, I sponged a bit of Fired Brick Distress Ink to the centres of the flowers to deepen the colour.

I wanted to jazz up the background, so I covered the poppies with the masks again and stamped the text from Dina Wakley's Textures set.


Then I decided that the gaps between the text needed to be filled in so I used the dot stamp from the Textures set.


Here's another version that I made first, but in a slightly different way.  I stamped the solid poppy images in Distress Ink, blasted with a heat gun, then stamped and gold-embossed the line images.    The embossing powder still managed to stick to the petal area but I deliberately left it, to give it a grungy look.  I was using mixed media paper (porous, similar to watercolour paper) and the embossing soaked into the paper, so I ironed it all off.  Then I watercoloured the background with Distress Inks and stamped the text.


So there you have it, two 6x6 inch stamped and watercolored panels, which can either be trimmed to fit a card front, or mounted and framed.

See you next time!

Shirley

6 comments:

Pat Crossland said...

I love poppies Shirley......am sure I have these stamps somewhere amongst my 'stash'....must route them out!!

Helen Gullett said...

Wow Shirley... This is gorgeous!

Loll said...

Gorgeous poppies and great layering for the background.

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Beautifully done!!!! Love the background!

I Card Everyone said...

Both gorgeous, Shirley! I do love Poppies!
=]

Shwetablog said...

nice